Design Manager (Rail)
Birmingham, London, York
Salary: Dependent on experience, skills and location
An introduction to our unique company
Waterman Aspen welcomes engineers and technical specialists to make their mark on some of the biggest infrastructure projects across the UK on a secondment basis.
We specialise in providing the right people, with the right skills for the job, at the right time – for as long as our clients need them.
We are proud of how much we value and support our colleagues – taking people from the very start of their careers to Chartered status and beyond. We have big ambitions for the future, and we’d love for you to be part of it.
Your career with Waterman Aspen
You’ll get all the benefits of being employed by us, while working on a variety of projects for our clients. Joining Waterman Aspen as a Design Manager will see you as a key member of the Rail, Aviation & Energy team and you can expect:
- A varied client base for you to apply and develop your skills
- Professional subscription to a professional body of your choice
- Career development and support to reach your professional goals (CEng, EngTech, Incorporated)
- Buy-in from clients to assist in your professional progression
- Further exposure to the industry – increasing your awareness, knowledge and sharpening your skills
- Experience within the UK Rail industry working on major and complex projects
- Proven Technical background in the delivery of multi-disciplinary projects across various stages of the project lifecycle
- Experience in managing a design team to ensure that deliverables are consistent and of high quality throughout the project
- Ability to ensure that the designs include multidisciplinary input from the necessary disciplines and appropriate coordination is taking place
- Experience working within a large multi-disciplinary design team, as well as ensuring that the Designer’s role is carried out in accordance with CDM2015
- Understanding of the importance of the Works Information and Project Execution Plan, as well as Technical Assurance processes
- Ability to review engineering drawings and calculations, as well as oversee design production.
- Experience in ensuring that work is carried out in accordance with the BIM Execution Plan, and that design information meets the required standards.
- Proficient user of design software such as MicroStation, Civil3D and/or OpenRoads Designer
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) in a related subject
- Eligibility to Work in the UK and a Full UK driving licence
- Experience in presenting engineering options, including a conceptual outline and detailed design of engineering solutions.
- Experience in using document management software such as ProjectWise
- Knowledge of scope and schedule management, risk analysis, cost control and an understanding of NEC3/4 contracts
- Chartered Member of the ICE, IStructE, IMechE, IET or equivalent
You’ll get this and so much more…
A salary in line with your experience, skills and location along with an industry-leading benefits package:
- Company car or car allowance
- Contribution to commuting mileage
- Permanent health insurance
- 25 days annual leave (buy up to 5 more)
- Company pension contribution
- Salary sacrifice to buy additional benefits
- 1 paid Waterman Aspen in the Community Day to volunteer in your local community