Chris Wheeler, Associate Director, talks about his first 6 months at Waterman Aspen, and exciting times ahead in the Rail, Aviation, Energy and Ports sectors.
- When did you join Waterman Aspen? I joined back in March shortly before the UK went into lockdown! Thankfully, I managed to get a few face–to–face meetings under my belt before resorting to video calls.
- What do Waterman Aspen do? We are the industry leading specialist secondment service provider. That means we have over 680 technical staff that we permanently second to clients, comprising Technicians, Designers, Engineers, Consultants, Surveyors, and Construction Managers at all professional levels.
- Tell us about your role. I’ve joined Waterman Aspen at an exciting time. The business has been steadily growing over several years and we are now focused on further diversification in a number of key areas. My role as Associate Director has a national focus, covering four sectors – Rail, Aviation, Energy and Ports.
- What attracted you to the role? The chance to build a new business division, being accountable for its success, but also helping to train, develop and support engineers, technicians, and professionals along the way. I love working with people so the chance to help make life easier for clients and provide career opportunities at the same time, is the perfect role for me.
- How has the first 6 months been? A lot of fun! Waterman Aspen is like a huge family. Everyone has been friendly and supportive, and it’s clear they all want the business to succeed. Business culture is hugely important to me, so I am really pleased that it has turned out to be this great. Engaging with clients has also been enjoyable, and even more so with the hard work put in over lockdown starting to pay off. It’s also been nice to bring new people into the family, providing them with secondments on exciting projects, and supporting them with their ongoing professional development.
- What does the future look like? It’s exciting! Our early successes with major clients on large schemes mean that we are now well placed to continue with growth plans across the UK. In Rail for example, we’re focused on projects like HS2, East West Rail, Northern Powerhouse Rail, Midland Metro, and many of the CP6 opportunities. I’m actually looking for an Area Manager to join the team as it’s getting quite a handful!
- So you’re looking for an Area Manager to join the team? Tell us about the role. The Area Manager role is like two exciting jobs rolled into one! For most of the week they will be working for a client in their secondment. For example they might be supporting a major consultancy with design work for HS2. Their secondment will then be supplemented with their management role. This is when they will proactively support the growth of the business, unlocking new clients, supporting staff and finding new ones for all the new secondments.
- How should people get in touch if they’re interested? I’m looking for someone who can join us in the new year. So if they’re interested, they should upload their CV via our website as soon as possible. It’s a fantastic time for someone to join our fast paced growing business.
If you’re interested in applying for the Area Manager role then click here to send us your CV and we’ll be in touch.